RAVIOLI DI BARBABIETOLA E PATATE AL GORGONZOLA
Beetroot ravioli served with gorgonzola sauce
For this recipe you will need:
- A blender
- A wooden board
- A rolling pin
- A pasta cutter
This recipe serves 3 or 4
You will need:
For the Pasta:
- 200g (or about 250g) 00 flour (plain flour)
- 2 eggs (1 egg and 1 yolk )
- 70g Beetroot (precooked or already boiled)
For the stuffing:
- 150g beetroot
- 250g potatoes (boiled)
- 50g grated parmigiano
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 30g butter
- 100g gorgonzola
Preparing the dough:
- Make a large well on the board with the flour.
- Blend the pre cooked beetroot with the 1 eggs and 1 yolk in a mixer, or use an immersion blender.
If you don’t have a mixer, dice the beetroot very small on a different board ( it will release a lot of color) and then mix it to the egg in the well.
- Pour the beetroot and the eggs in the middle of the well.
- Now mix it with the flour with a fork, use your hands just when the mixture is not too sticky.
- Work the dough until it is smooth.
- Place it in a plastic bag and let it rest at least 15 minutes.
This way the gluten will settle and it will be easier to roll it.
- The pasta dough will release some humidity and become more sticky, while it is resting.
Preparing the stuffing for the Ravioli:
- Mash the boiled potatoes, meanwhile peel the garlic and soften it in a pan with some olive oil.
- Blend about 150g of beetroot using an immersion blender.
- In the pan where the garlic is cooking, add the mashed potatoes and season it with some salt and pepper.
- Take it off the flame and mix the mashed potatoes to the beetroot purè obtained.
- Now add the parmigiano and mix well.
Rolling the dough:
- In the middle of the board flat out the pasta ball.
- Turn the pasta around while you are rolling it, to keep even thickness.
- It has to be quite thin , about 2 mm, since it is a stuffed pasta.
- If the dough has rested enough in a plastic bag, rolling it will be easier.
- When the dough is very thin, place a teaspoon of stuffing about 4 cm of distance between each amount, on just half of the dough.
- Now turn the rest of the sfoglia on top of the stuffing.
- With your fingers, press well, to seal each Ravioli and to take air out of them,
- Now use a pasta cutter (5 cm diameter) or the base of a glass to cut the ravioli.
Preparing the sauce:
- In a pan melt a nob of butter and the gorgonzola.
- Dilute the sauce with some water if the Gorgonzola is quite solid.
- Cover the pan to help the sauce to melt easier.
- Boil the pasta in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain it and toss the pasta with the sauce.
Serve with parmigiano!