One of the most famous Italian dishes, pasta with carbonara sauce is a classic and sure to please all the family.
Ingredients for 2 people
- 200g Mezze maniche pasta
- 2 slices of guanciale (½ cm thick) – Alternatively use bacon or pancetta
- 3 eggs (2 just yolks a 1 whole egg)
- Black pepper
- 40g of Pecorino Romano (not too mature)
- 40g Parmigiano (not too mature)
Guanciale is a piece of fat pork meat that comes from the cheek of the pig.
You can substitute it with a good piece of not smoked pancetta or bacon.
- Slice the guanciale into long strips.
- In a pan cook the strips and let them release the fat that they contain.
- Now depending how much fat was realised , you can decide to keep just part of it.
- Take the guanciale off the pan and keep it separate so that it is crunchy but not too burned.
- You can now boil the pasta in boiling salted water
- In a separate bowl mix 2 yolks and 1 whole egg together then add the grated parmigiano and the pecorino.
- Whisk well and add a bit of warm water from the pan containing the pasta, to improve the temperature of the mixture of eggs and cheeses before mixing it with the pasta and making it more fluid.
- When the pasta has been cooking half way through,drain it and finish cooking it in the sauce, adding some of the water that you have just used to boil the pasta. Turn off the heat.
- Toss the pasta in the pan adding the egg mixture and the crunchy guanciale and some black papper.
- Mix well until the pasta is all coated by the sauce, but always with the heat off.
- The egg will be just slightly cooked.