Looking for a butternut squash gnocchi recipe as a delicious alternative to the classic potato gnocchi? In this recipe we’ve combined it with a creamy cheese sauce- a complete carb overload, but the perfect comfort food.
GNOCCHI di ZUCCA CON FORMAGGI E NOCI
Recipe serves 4
Ingredients for gnocchi
- 250g 00 flour (or plain flour)
- 1 egg
- 600g butternut squash
- 200g red or white potatoes
- 30g parmigiano grated
Ingredients for the cheese sauce
- 100g gorgonzola
- 30g mascarpone cheese
- 30g emmental or fontina
- 50g parmigiano
- a small amount of butter or some milk
- nutmeg grated
- walnuts to toast
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft and while the potatoes are boiling , cut the squash in 2cm cubes, toss in olive oil and roast it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes until soft.
You can choose to cook the squash and the potatoes in the microwave. Cut both in cubes and cook it in a bowl for 8 minutes with a tablespoon of water in it
- Mash the squash and the potatoes together, add pinch of salt, one beaten egg, grated parmigiano and nutmeg.
- Mix the dough, it should be soft, but not too wet, take care to add the flour slowing (the key to light fluffy gnocchi is not to add too much flour as this will make them heavy).
- When the dough is ready, roll out on a floured surface into long sausage shape, roughly the thickness of your thumb. Cut the strip into little cubes approx 2-3 cm. Using the back of a fork press down gently to make the ridges/lines that will help to hold the sauce.
- In a saucepan melt the gorgonzola, add a small amount of butter, mix a tablespoon of mascarpone and grated Emmental cheese in the saucepan until the mixture has melted and is thick and smooth.
- Once the sauce is ready, prepare a large saucepan of salted water to cook the gnocchi. When the gnocchi float to the top of the saucepan they are ready- should only take a few minutes.
- Drain, add to the cheese sauce and sprinkle over grated parmigiano and the toasted walnuts to serve
Buon Appetito! Do let us know if you make our butternut squash gnocchi recipe, do comment below.