For our regular Monday live cooking lesson from Bologna our Flavours cook Livia teaches how to make a really easy salsa verde sauce. It’s one of the classic Italian sauces and perfect for bollito misto, or to serve with vegetables or even over pasta. Salsa Verde translated means “green sauce” and we love the vibrant colour!
- 150g parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 boiled eggs (we will just use the yolks)
- 4 anchovy fillets (tinned)
- 1 table spoon of capers
- Juice from ½ lemon or slice of white bread soaked in vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Put the parsley leaves in a blender.
- Add the garlic, the anchovies and the capers.
- Blend until you get a smoother, thinner consistency. Now add some lemon juice and the boiled yolks of the eggs.
- Add some olive oil and blend again until you get a creamy green sauce.
Serve on the side of bollito misto ( mixed boiled meats )
This sauce can also accompany fish.
The sauce can be frozen and kept for up to 3 months. Just add a small layer of olive oil to the sauce before freezing, to prevent freezer burn.