As the evenings draw in there’s nothing like a bowl of creamy risotto- we’re delighted to share our best risotto recipe for winter from Flavours chef- Livia de Giovanni.
The bitterness of the radicchio and red wine is perfectly balanced with the creamy risotto rice. – Buon appetito!
Learn more about our Italian chef Livia and her work with Flavours.
RISOTTO CON RADICCHIO E VINO ROSSO
This recipe serves 4
- 300g Vialone Nano rice ( otherwise Arborio or risotto rice)
2 shallots finely chopped
300g Radicchio finely chopped
100g parmigiano to grate
80g butter (unsalted)
1 litre vegetable stock ( homemade is best with celery, carrot and onion)
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 glass of red wine
This Risotto is going to be a really delicate “primi piatti”- first course.
To make your vegetable stock
- Celery, carrot and onion make a great base, coarsely chop the vegetables and place in a pot with 2 litres of cold water.
Top tip : It is important to add cold water so that the vegetables will gradually release their flavour while the water is starting to boil.
- You can add a courgette to the stock ( to give more flavour to the stock) and some olive oil.
To make your risotto
- Add extra virgin olive oil and butter to the saucepan
- Then add the finely chopped shallots
- Cook for 10-15 minutes over a low heat till soften.
- Add the chopped radicchio.
Top tip to make really creamy risotto
- In a separate pan toast the rice without adding any butter or oil for 2-3 minutes, this will lock in the starch in the rice and helps improve the flavour (makes it more creamy).
- Once the rice is toasted add to the saucepan. Stir well then add a good glass of red wine and stir until the alcohol evaporates.
- Now start adding the stock little by little.
- Keep adding the stock gradually until it is cooked- the rice should be al dente.
- Then add some butter and a lot of grated parmigiano to serve- enjoy!