This Spring, as the trees start blooming, let’s begin a new hobby in Pilates to refresh ourselves. We have put together a few, simple exercises from our Pilates holidays that are perfect to help tone and trim the stomach. These exercises can all be done at home and once regularly, you will see a noticeable difference to your tummy and increase your fitness this year!
Exercise tips from our Pilates holidays:
Abs Roll Down
1. Start in a seated position, with tall posture, your core engaged and your arms held straight out in front at shoulder height.
2. Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, slowly lean back, tucking your tail bone underneath you and lowering your back to the floor.
3. Keep your tummy tucked in and your core engaged at all times. When you reach the floor, use your abs to pull yourself back up to the starting position.
Repeat 5 times.
Abs Roll Up
1. Lie flat on your back with your arms stretched above your head. Leave your shoulders down, bring your arms overhead, tuck your chin in and curl your upper body forward.
2. Exhale slowly, continue to roll your body off up the floor and make a deep curl in your abs. Reach your arms forward, then slowly roll back down.
Repeat 5 times.
1. Lie face down on the floor with your forearms on the ground and your elbows in line with your shoulders.
2. Lift your body off the group and hold your weight on your toes and forearms.
Make sure your back is straight and your bottom isn’t sticking up (a side mirror is useful for this).Squeeze your glutes to stabilise the body and make sure your abs are engaged. Most of all, remember to breath! Long, slow breathes are best.
Hold the position for 10 seconds, or as long as you can without compromising the position.
1. Align yourself correctly in the Four-point Kneeling Position. Maintain an appropriate level of connection to your centre throughout.
2. Breathe in, preparing your body to move, and lengthen your spine.
3. Breathe out and, maintaining a still and stable pelvis and spine, slide one leg behind you, directly in line with your hip. Your softly pointed foot will remain in contact with the mat.
4. Breathe in as you lengthen and lift your leg to hip height. Simultaneously raise the opposite arm forwards, ideally to shoulder height. Again maintain a lengthened and stable torso.
5. Breathe out and lower your lengthened leg to the mat. Simultaneously return your arm underneath your shoulder.
6. Breathe in and, once again maintaining natural pelvis and spine, slide your leg back to the Starting Position.
Repeat up to five times on each side, alternating the opposite arm and leg.
Looking to get into Pilates this year? Why not join us on one of our fabulous Pilates courses in Tuscany, Amalfi, Sicily, Puglia or Andalusia. If a week of fun Pilates lessons under the Italian sun with some great Italian food and wine thrown in sounds right up your street – download our brochure to check our availability or simply get in touch!